Thursday, July 10, 2014

Black sesame wholemeal bread


I love my Sunbeam bread machine! I bought it 3 months ago, ever since then I have not stopped baking everyday, sometimes twice a day! It helps me to reduce time in my kneading, rising time and I'm certainly having a big sigh and relief after all.

We eat lots of bread here.  Morning and afternoon lunch for my kids and also my husband brings 2 slices to work as well. For me, I love bread, all kinds of bread. Yeah... so we are a crazy bread family.

I once read from article that, try to use good quality wholemeal flour and flour should be kept within 8 weeks so as to remain fresh. Otherwise, end result the bread would taste and smell bitter? I do not know how true that is, but I will stick to what is said just in case.



Here is the recipe for a 750g loaf:
Water (luke-warm)           260ml
Butter or margarine          15g     ( I used grapeseed oil / olive oil / rice bran oil, same amount)
Brown sugar                    1 1/2 tablespoon 
Skim milk powder           2 teaspoons
Black sesame powder      2 tablespoon
Salt                                  1/2 teaspoon
Bread improver               1 teaspoon ( instead,  I used 2 tablespoon of yogurt / greek natural yogurt).
Wholemeal plain flour     400g
Dry yeast                         1 1/2 teaspoons



1.  Add ingredients to the bread pan in the order listed. 
2.  Select menu (wheat), light crust, 750g.
3.   Press "start".
4. When complete, let pan stand for 10 minutes then turn onto wire rack to cool. 


Note: During first 5 to 10 minutes, lift lid and take a quick look. Dough should be smooth, soft and slightly sticky and have a tendency to flatten and catch the sides of the container. Too stiff a dough would rag the edges and would not stick to the sides at all, forming tight round ball.  Then a tablespoon of water is to be added in. Too soft a dough would be sticky and reluctant to form a ball. So then you need to add one tablespoon of extra flour.


Well, you should get a soft texture of nutricious healthy bread plus the beautiful fragrance of black sesame!

No comments: