Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Bibingka


Binbingka is a type of glutinous rice cake from the Phillippines, traditionally eaten during the Christmas season.  It comes with beautiful flavour of coconut and glutinous rice,  inside is chewy while the outside is crusty. If you like mochi, you will sure like this. Just be sure that you use a premium coconut cream.



I made this for my girl friend's party last night. None of us have eaten Bibingka before, so everyone took one to eat, discussing how interesting and lovely the chewy and crusty texture in their bites..before we knew it, it was all gone in no time and obviously we all liked it :) One thing I noticed is that it is best eaten when it is warm. It tends to become a little harder after it cools down, but I can tell you, it still tasted good.
the crust..

The combination of the mochi like texture and the crackling crust is simply delicious

Recipe from here
Ingredient
2 cups glutinous rice flour
1 tin coconut cream (400ml)
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 to 2 eggs

note: I sprinkled some fine dessicated coconut just to give an extra coconut flavour on the top.


Method
1. Mix all in a bowl and pour into greased container and bake for about 40 minutes at 180C.
( I used a 20cm cake tin)

2. You may cook in microwave oven for about 15 minutes. Or until cooked and brown the top under the grill.

note: I used method (1), it took me another extra 15 minutes to 20 minutes to get it done.












No comments: