Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Black glutinous rice bread




You get a beautiful color bread!








I noticed if you use cooked rice for bread making it results in a very moist and chewy texture. Very straight forward recipe.  I boiled the rice in advance and used my food processor to grind it before adding it with my other ingredients. I also added 50g coconut milk, thinking it would go nice with it.  After tasted the bread, I think I should go for 100g coconut milk, 50g was just not enough to bring out the flavour.






I have been obsessesed these few days with using my food processor to knead the dough.  As long as you chill your yeast mixture ( wet ingredients) in the fridge for 10 minutes, you are ready to "pause" a few times on the food processor! In short...very short moments, you get your dough perfectly done. Just make sure you do not "pause" the machine too long. When the dough comes together like a ball, it's done.


Ingredients:

3 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar ( I did not use honey this time as I do not want the strong honey flavour over-powering the coconut milk.
1 teaspoon yeast
1 cup cooked black glutinous rice ( processed in the food processor)
1 cup lukewarm milk ( I added 1 egg to come as 1 cup all in all)
1 tablespoon of skim milk powder
50g coconut milk





























Methods ( I used food processor):

1.  I prepared the sponge.  Yeast and sugar in the lukewarm water, well whisked. Covered and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes until you see the foam appears on top of the mixture.
2.  Mix into the rest of the wet ingredients and chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
3.  Meanwhile, pour in  cooked glutinous rice and all other dry ingredients into the food processor ( "Pause" 2 to 3 times).
4.  Add in oil and "Pause" 2 times.
5.  While "pausing" on the machine, gradually pour in all wet ingredients into the food processor.
6. Very quickly, when everything comes together, you are done.
Note: Do not over do your "pausing", you do not want to overheat or over- knead your dough.
7. Remove dough out into a big bowl. Oil your hands, in the bowl, deflate air bubbles and roll dough into a ball shape.  Rest gluten for 10 minutes.
8. Roll dough like the way you do as in swiss roll, tuck two ends in.
9. Place dough into a loaf pan for further second rise, about an hour or, until it doubled its size.
9. Bake in pre-heated oven 180 deg, 30 minutes or, until golden brown.
10.  Good luck, I am sure you will like this bread!



No comments: