Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Korean / Japanese Soba Cold Noodle


We had a very light and simple meal of soba noodles for dinner tonight.  It is still Winter here but cold Soba noodle is still good for us.  I think, this meal would be really refreshing to have in Summertime. Anyway, my children love it so much, I saw them happily slurping all the way through dinner.




For ingredients here,
I prefer to quick fry these thin sliced beef...


                                                               Soba Noodle


Soba sauce 


I prefer Radish Kimchi to Cabbage Kimchi...


Very yummy braised  Burdock, glad I bought it!


Soba noodle is made of buckwheat, a very healthy grain.  When I was browsing at the grocery shop, I saw some "Burdock" with soya sauce.  It looked very interesting and yummy so I thought it may go well with the noodles.  I bought it home without any idea what it actually was until I googled and found out that it is actually a kind of herb plant for blood purification.  It tasted really good, I'm glad I added it in!

 I have never eaten Soba noodle even though I have had Korean food many times.  Great for lazy nights in and when you don't have a big appetite for meals.


I think it can be up to your own imagination how you would like to create the noodle,  as for me its the first time making it for the family, I just used ingredients that I thought my family may like it. Yeah, I will definitely improvise it the next time I make it again.






Ingredients ( my own way?)

1.   Soba noodle
2.   Thin sliced cucumber
3.   Radish Kimchi
4.   Spring onions ( cut into very thin slices)
5.   Burdock
6.   Soba sauce
7.   Sesame paste ( I used tahini)
8.   Shabu Shabu sliced beef



Methods:

1.   Cook noodle in boiling water with a little salt for 3 to 5 minutes until soft.
2.   Rinse and drain cold water to prevent sticking.
3.   Transfer noodle to a bowl of ice cubes to chill the noodle.  Drain well.
3.   Place ingredients on top of the noodle,  add in soba sauce and sesame paste to your taste and mix well.
4.   Enjoy!

No comments: