Thursday, August 28, 2014

Healthy Snowskin Mooncake ( Matcha and Rose Syrup)


                   Matcha...........    Rose syrup air bandung........MOONCAKEeeee!


I had such fun making this. I never thought I could make Mooncake so I was really excited when I saw those cute babies sitting right in front of me!  My husband and my children love my mooncake a lot!


Every year, my husband would spend a lot of money just to buy them, needless to say, mooncakes in Australia are especially pricey!  Not just that, think about the heavy sugar content, the refined oil and preservatives added into it. Hmmm..

 After he tasted some of  my homemade ones, he was convinced not to buy from stores anymore.  I saved him heaps of money.:)



 I love to follow "SiuKitchen" mooncake recipes as hers are usually healthier, less sugar, less oil yet still tasty recipes, without shortening.

 I made the split mung bean paste a day ahead, there were many different kinds of ready made paste imported from overseas. I was not really happy when I checked and found all sorts of preservatives in the paste content.
 So,  I said forget it and made it myself...
 It may be a longer process to get it done, it was well worth it.






As this was my first attempt making Mooncakes, I just wanted something classic and simple.  So I made 2 flavours, one is matcha while the other uses rose syrup "air bandung" that surprisingly I had no problems getting it here at the local Asian grocery shop.  I especially like the rose pink snowskin, it gives you such beautiful strong flavour.  Matcha does not really bring out the flavour as much hm...but green is my color!









 The following ingredients is for 50g mooncake mould ( using 30g filling, 20g pastry).  Because I owned 100g mould, therefore I doubled the ingredients ( using 70g filling, 30g pastry).


                                                   
                                                   Roses Syrup and  Matcha powder

Ingredients ( Snowskin):  
1.  Milk 250 g
2.  Castor sugar  50g
3.  Condensed milk  40g
4.  Oil  10g
5.  Glutinous rice flour 70g ( not cooked type).
6.  Rice flour  50g
7.  Plain flour 20g

     





















Method ( Snowskin):

1. Combine sugar and all sifted flours. Set aside.
2. Mix milk, condensed milk, matcha / rose syrup and oil together.
3.  Pour into the flour mixture and stir to combine.
4.  Drain through a fine sieve into a pan.
5.  Transfer to steam on high heat, 20 - 30 minutes.
6.  When steaming completed, rest the paste on cooling rack until lukewarm.
7.  Lightly quick knead so that paste just come together like a dough texture ( note: not to really knead it).
8.  Wrap dough with cling wrap and chill in fridge for late use.


Note:  one teaspoon used for matcha, one teaspoon for rose syrup "air bandung" (for 50g mould) and in the case of 100g mould, I used one tablespoon for each flavour.



Ingredients (Filling):

1.  Peeled split mung beans  160g  (wash and soaked  for 2-3 hours or, overnight).
2.  Wheat starch  10g
3.  Vegetable oil   10g
4.  Castor sugar  40g ( I used 50g)
Note: you would also need a small amount of cooked glutinous rice flour for easy moulding the mooncake.










Raw Peeled Mung Bean








                                                   




                                                 
Steamed and mashed










                                                                                                                                                                In smooth paste form              











Method (Filling):

1.  Add a little water to the mung beans so that it is slightly submerged.  Steam 20 to 30 minutes until softened.
2.  Mash the paste while it is still hot.  Sieve to puree if you like.
3.  Add 40g sugar into the paste and mix well.
4.  On low heat, fry the paste with the oil.
5.  Add in wheat starch when paste becoming quite dry.  Stir until all well mixed.
6.  Knead the paste until smooth when it is lukewarm.  Wrap it with cling wrap and chill in the fridge.
7.  Divide 20 g each from the" pastry" dough, 30g each from the "filling" dough.
8.  Place a pastry dough between cling film and roll it out into a thin round slice.
9.  Wrap a ball of filling with the skin, dab it into the cooked glutinous flour prepared.
10. Place it onto the mould and press gently in the corners before pushing the cake out of the mould.




                                        Happy Mooncke Festival everyone! (2014)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Can use 50g pandan juice + 200g milk (not milk powder)? Also can use taro (yam) paste for this recipe?
If using 50g mould, how many can be made?
Thanks

Lilyn said...

Hi Pat,
For the snowskin no. 7, plain flour or should use wheat starch?
Thanks