Thursday, September 11, 2014

Coconut custard buns



This was the very first bread that I did when I first started learning how to bake bread, some time in April 2014.  I have to thank Christine's recipe for her clear and concise description of steps.


My family was really excited when I served them this for supper that night, I can still remember very clearly.  They just did not believe I could actually bake a bread, hahaha! Anyway, supporting enough, they gobbled it all up within minutes. We made tea, coffee to go with it and all of us had a great time.  It really made my day.
The bread was soft, fluffy and really yummy.  If you've tried this recipe, I am sure you would agree with me.  I've actually repeated this several times making the same bread again, a keeper for the family indeed.

  Recipe from Christine's recipes
 Ingredients 
 350g bread flour
 55g castor sugar
 5g salt
 56g egg
 7g milk powder
 125ml milk
 120g tangzhong
 5 to 6g instant yeast
 30g unsalted butter (softened)


  Filling
  30g butter, softened
  30g castor sugar
  30g egg, whisked
  60g desiccated coconut


  Syrup (optional)
  1 tsp sugar
  2 tsp water







  Method for fillings
  1. Combine softened butter with sugar.
  2. Add egg, stir well, next comes desiccated coconut. Mix them well.
  Get this ready in advance, divide into 6 portions and chill in fridge for later use.
  Let it sit in room   temperature before use, if you feel it has hardened too much.




Methods for buns ( I used bread machine)
1.  Wet ingredients goes in before dry ingredients ( you may like to whisk egg and tangzhong together with the milk).
2.  Salt at one side while sugar at another.
3.  Yeast comes in last just before the flour.
4.  When dough is done, deflate air bubbles on working surface and roll into a ball shape, rest gluten for 10 minutes.
5.  Divide into 6 equal portions of your dough and also your fillings.
6.  Roll out the dough and wrap one portion of fillings onto it, do that for the rest.  Lay them on baking tray.
7. Let it rise for another time about an hour or until it doubled it's size.
8. Egg wash on surface of buns.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
9. Bake in pre-heated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.  Just before the last 5 minutes, brush syrup on surface of buns.
10. Let it cool on wire rack.























No comments: