Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Steamed glutinous rice Lo Mai Gai ( using lotus leaves)



I bought a packet of dried lotus leaves ready to make frangrant Lo Mai Gai. Everyone actually loved it so much, especially my parents.  My son had 3 packets all in one go ! So there I am, making a 2nd...3rd..and now the last batch.




Because I made so much, now my dad  can have as many as he wants, just take it out from the freezer and steam it again.  That's what I do too, we stuffed a lot in the freezer for rainy days when I am too lazy or tired to cook.

I searched on net found recipes are pretty much the same , the kind of ingredients used.  In the end, I decided to do it my way here.


Homemade Lo Mai Gai is the best! we can have generous ingredients as much as we like..




(A) Rice preparation ( 500g glutinous rice)

Ingredients:

1.  Light soya sauce ( 2 tablespoons)
2.  Dark soya sauce ( 1 tablespoon)
3.  Water ( 1/2 cup, not more than that)
4.  Oyster sauce ( 1 tablespoons)
5.  Sesame oil
6.  Sugar ( 1 teaspoon)
7.  White Pepper
8.  Pinch of salt

 Mix well .
Get steamer ready and steam on high heat for 20 minutes.
( note:I made 1 kg rice, so I had two shallow plates over two levels on my bamboo steamer).





Fillings ( decide the amout individually):

With a little oil, fry and eventually mix everything together.   Fry chicken separately  and add in the rest, season well with the usual soya sauce, oyster sauce..., final quick fry and done!

1.  Chinese sausage (Lup Cheong)
2.   Boneless chicken thighs sliced in small pieces and marinated.
3.  Chinese mushrooms, soaked and cut into small cubes.
4.  Small shrimps, soaked.
5.  Dried oyster, soaked
6.  Chinese rice wine
7.  A bit of conflour
8.  Sesame oil
Note: excess liquid / stock would be good to add in the cooked glutinous rice.



Ingredients for my first batch



This was my 4th batch of Lo Mai Gai, I decided to add without lup cheong 






For Lotus leaves:-
Cook in boiling water for 2 minutes), ready to be used, I did not bother to wipe them dry, it all went good.

Dried lotus leaves 


Boil 2 minutes in hot water and ready to go!





Method:

1.  Soak glutinous rice overnight.  Drain.
2.  Set up steamer. Steam rice for 20 minutes on high heat.
3.  Remove rice out from steamer, use a pair of chopstick and mix them up again so the sauce is evenly spread all over the rice.  Let it cool down a bit.
4.  Set your working area with the cooked ingredients and leaves ready for next move.
5.  Lay your leaf flat on the table, put on your disposable gloves,  start by placing some rice flat on the centre of the leaf.  Gather some ingredients over the top of the rice. Lastly, top up more rice to cover up so ingredients is hidden inside).
6.  Wrap up the parcels one by one in the steamer. Steam for 20 minutes for high heat.
7.  Done!










No comments: